Article By: Shai Fichtelberg
Valentine’s day is approaching fast, and we all know what that means…tasty food! As someone who loves cooking and baking, any holiday calls for taking over the kitchen. While we can’t all be together celebrating the usual Valentine’s day activities, we can definitely adapt and still make this a great time of year. Here are just a few of my favorite Valentine’s day, or any day, dessert recipes for you to try out.
Chocolate Chip Cookies-
Chocolate chip cookies are a staple Valentine’s day food. There is nothing like dipping a warm chocolate chip cookie in milk. I love making a bunch of them and giving them out to friends. These are great because you can store them in tupperware or Ziploc bags, and drop them off at your friends, or significant others’ house. here’s how it’s done…
- 1 cup of salted butter (softened)
- 1 cup of granulated white sugar
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 cups of chocolate chips (if you want to make them more festive, do 1 ½ cup of chocolate chips and ½ cup of sprinkles)
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugars until combined.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix well.
- Add chocolate chips (and sprinkles) and mix.
- Roll into balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and take them out when they are just barely turning brown.
- Store extra dough in the freezer for another time or bake them all!
Mini Apple Pies-
Most People don’t realize, but apple pies are good at every holiday. Making someone a warm apple pie with delicious vanilla ice cream says, “I love you” in the best way possible. These are great individual pies and can be left on a porch in a little tupperware to brighten someone’s day. This is my favorite apple pie recipe…
Crust (double for one pie)-
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of sugar
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 stick of very cold butter
- 3 tbsp of ice water
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 3 lbs of apple cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of butter
- Milk for brushing
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add butter cut in cubes and pulse until barely combined.
- Add water and pulse together for 5 seconds.
- Press the dough into a disk that is 1 inch thick and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Stick in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this recipe.
- Heat oven to 450ºF.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl mix the apples and lemon juice.
- Mix the apples and the dry ingredients.
- Roll out the crust and cut into small circles.
- Butter a cupcake tin and put crust in a cupcake tin.
- Pour in apple mixture and add a little bit of butter on top.
- Cover the top with the crust and press the edges together with a fork.
- Cut a slit on top of each pie and brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350ºF.
- Bake for another 40-50 minutes, until pies are golden.
- Let cool and then serve!
- If covered, these can be stored at room temperature for up to two days.
Valentine’s Day Smoothies-
As the weather is getting warmer, that means it’s time to get out your blender and make delicious smoothies. These are great because they come out pink just as they should on Valentine’s day, and giving someone a sweet treat is such a cute way to say, “you mean so much to me.” Here is how I do it…
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 peeled fresh banana
- 1 cup of milk (or a milk substitute)
- 1 cup of ice
- Blend all the ingredients together and add more to your desired taste and consistency.
- Pour into cute glasses and serve!
These recipes have all been family and friend approved, and I hope you try them out! Sweet treats are such a great gift. Leaving them wrapped in a tupperware on someone’s porch can make their day!