SRHS Student Thoughts On The Upcoming Return To In-Person Learning

Returning to school has split the student populous in half. Some want to return and others plan on staying on distance learning, whether that be because they’re being precautious or because they prefer distance learning. In the poll, out of 30 students, 57% plan on returning & 43% will stay online. Senior Clarissa Diaz says, “being a senior who’s struggling with online learning I feel desperate to get back and experience my senior year at the actual campus.” 

Article & Graphic By: Emmanuel Vallarta

A year after the initial lockdown brought upon by COVID-19, school will be opening for the remainder of the school year on April 26th. The student population is torn on whether or not to return in April, with some students wanting to return to in-person school. Distance learning has been an interesting experience, but we all miss the daily interactions with real people instead of just tiny pixels on our computer screens. Although COVID numbers are on a decline in our county, and more people are being vaccinated, there is still that sense of precaution that many of us want to take to avoid another spike like that of the winter holiday. 

I sent a poll to my followers on Instagram, asking those who were Santa Rosa High School students whether or not they would be returning. Out of 30 SRHS students, 17 (57%) voted on returning to school, and the remaining 13 (43%) students would be staying in distance learning for the remainder of the year.

Adriana Galindo, a junior at SRHS, voiced her opinion on why she will be staying on distance learning, “ I personally think that it would be a waste of time returning students for the remainder of the school year. We would only be returning for two days a week and I really don’t think it is worth it. It would be better to end the year in distance learning and return next year.” 

Clarissa Diaz, a senior of SRHS, has decided to return, “ Well returning to school does make me a bit nervous because I have no idea how it’ll go, but being a senior who’s struggling with online learning I feel desperate to get back and experience my senior year at the actual campus. I do want everyone who’s going back to be safe.”

Personally, I have decided to stay on distance learning for the remainder of the year. My decision changed, as I was looking forward to returning to school. I would have loved to meet my teachers and interact with students again. I miss the way of life before COVID-19, but I just don’t think that returning for only 10 school days in a span of a month is worth it, especially for me, someone who has to take the city bus to school. I know that the district is taking all possible precautions to minimize the possibility of spreading COVID-19 in schools, but without being vaccinated I prefer to stay on the safe side of things.

You might also like

LEAVE A COMMENT